Oh Those Yummy Scalloped Potatoes!
Even though I happen to find scalloped potatoes irresistible, I thought I would bring them up a notch and add in some ham, cheese and mushrooms. Of course, you could always add in your favorite vegetables for added flavor. In particular, I find that this Creamy Scalloped Potato hot dish is the perfect comfort food. Especially those winter months when it’s dark and gloomy out and temps start getting a little bit nippy! However, I do love a good a good hot dish just about anytime of year.
Since this dish is loaded to the hilt with yummy goodness, it’s perfect served up as a meal. Also it’s also super simple and quick to make up. Therefore, if your looking for comfort food or a new twist on scalloped potatoes, this hot dish is perfect!
- 6 medium mixed potatoes thinly sliced par boiled or microwaved so they cook evenly
- 4 oz button mushrooms slicedI use baby portobello's)
- 1/2 sweet vidalia onion chopped
- 2 small ham steaks cubed
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- fresh chopped thyme and rosemary to taste I use 1 tsp of each - Optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- pre-heat oven to 350° dgrees
- Precook potatoes by either par boiling or microwaving to soften and then thinly slice. set aside forv assembly
- In a bow mix together cubed ham steak, slice mushrooms, chopped onion, grated cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste along with thyme and rosemary. Set aside for assembly
- Mix flour and and 1/4 cup of evaporated milk until there are no lumps and then add the rest of the evaporated milk. Mix well and set aside for assembly.
- In a greased baking dish layer half of your potatoes on the bottom and then layer half of your ham mixture on top of the potatoes. Repeat this step with the remainder of the potatoes and ham mixture.
- Evenly pour evaporated milk over the top and place in your preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 to 8 minutes and ready to serve