Chipotle Inspired Pie
Who doesn’t love Chipotle? I can remember stuffing my face with my first beef barbacoa burrito! So amazingly good. If you haven’t figured by now, Mexican inspired cuisine is one of my true loves!
I came up with this little number while I was living abroad and desperately craving Mexican food. I knew that if I was going to give into my craving I was going to have to make it myself. What I really wanted to roll up to a Chipotle, but since that was not going to happen, I began putting together all the ingredients I could remember into this lovely Chipotle Pie! With this in mind all I have to say it was as equally as good.
So delicious and addictive! Not to mention, this recipe is actually really super easy to put together. The layers of re-fried beans, cilantro lime rice and of course seasoned beef makes this dish truly Amazing! Equally important, is that they are smothered in cheddar cheese and Hey! What could be better than cheese?
- 4 Large Tortilla's
- 16 oz can refried beans
- 15 oz can black beans
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 Pound beef tips
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper or chipotle season
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 bunch cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 16 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
Optional ingredients for topping or side
- Sour Cream
Pre-heat oven 375 degrees
Step 1 Prepping
- heat up 1 tbsp oil (or more if you desire) in your skillet and add your beef tips. Season beef tips with garlic salt, cayanne pepper and cummin to taste and cook on medium heat until done about 10 minutes. Set aside once fully cooked.
- Cook 1 cup of rice per package directions depending on which kind of rice you use. I used long grain as it is not to sticky for this recipe. Try to avoid sticky white rices. Once fully cooked set a side to cool.
- Chop up cilantro and mix into rice along with juice from one lime and set aside.
Put Pie Together
- Use a large and deep pie pan or circle Pyrex pan. I use a spring pan. Place your first tortilla at the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with cheese, then evenly cover the tortilla with refried beans and top off with black beans. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese on top of the beans.
- Place another tortilla over the top of your beans and cheese.
- Pour about 2 to 4 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the tortilla and spread around as you would with a pizza until tortilla is completely covered. Add light layer of cheese and your beef tips on top of the sauce and then sprinkle some more shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top of your beef and cheese.
- Pour 2 to 4 tablespoons of enchilada sauce over the tortilla and spread around until completely covered. Add your rice mixture and spread around until the tortilla is completely covered.
- Place your last tortilla on top and tuck the edges of the tortilla inward or down. Sprinkle the remainder of your shredded cheddar cheese on top and pop in the oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- When you remove from heat let cool for about 5 minutes. You can slice in pan or simply put a plate over the top and flip pan over, tapping the bottom of pan to make sure tortilla is loose and then use another plate to flip back over. Slice up into 6 to 8 pie slices and serve.
- Top with your favorite Chipotle ingredients such as sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, onions, corn etc.