Grilled Bacon Wrapped Mushroom & Swiss Meatloaf
Grilling season is here and it’s my favorite time of year! What could be better than melding the flavors of a mushroom and swiss burger with bacon. With 10 to 12 servings this recipe is perfect for a BBQ with family and friends. It also reheats well for leftovers and taste fantastic in a sandwich!
I’ve made this a few times now and it’s always been a hit when I have company over for a summer cookout. I have found that the fattier the bacon is the easier it is to wrap around the meatloaf. Since ground beef tends to shrink up quite a bit I try to use 90/10 beef rather than 80/20. Also fresh sliced baby portobello’s have a full bodied taste and are so much better than canned mushrooms. Grilled Bacon Wrapped Mushroom & Swiss Meatloaf is a recipe you’ll want to make time and time again!
Have You Tried This Recipe? Tell us what you think!
- 3 lbs ground beef avoid lean and go for higher fat content for juicier meatloaf
- 2 lbs bacon
- 4 oz baby portobello mushrooms slices baby portobello's taste best
- 4 oz shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
Heat grill to 350 to 400 degrees
- Season 3lbs ground beef with 2 tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp, sea salt and 2 tsp onion salt. ,
- Roll or press ground beef out into a rectangle. You'll want it to be about 12 inches long and about 6 to 8 inches wide.
- Layer 4 oz of sliced mushrooms and 4 oz of shredded Swiss cheese over the ground beef.
- Peel up the long side of the ground beef and begin to roll so the mushrooms and cheese are on the inside of the meatloaf.,much like a swiss roll, pinching the seams closed and set aside.
- Alternately layer your bacon strips in rows. Slide meatloaf to the center of the bacon and fold in the right and left side in a braid fashion bringing the bacon strip over the top of the meatloaf and tucking under. Continue to criss cross bacon until it is completely wrapped. You can However, use another method of choice to wrap meatloaf, whichever you find easier as long as meatloaf if completely wrapped in bacon.
- Slide meatloaf onto a double layer of aluminum foil and fold up the edges. Place on preheated grill for 1 hour or until bacon is crisp. Depending on grill temp, may be 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Note: If you don't have a grill bake in the oven for 1 hour or until bacon is crisp at about 350 degrees.
- Remove from grill and let stand for 5 minutes and ready to serve.