Parmesan Crusted Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
Amazing and Delicious! After finishing up filling my boots with this delightful dish, I catch myself being amazed by how good it taste. Honestly, the stuffed zucchini was so freaking good! The taste is very similar to Lasagna only without the ricotta or cottage cheese. Therefore, I might have to try ricotta cheese the next time I make this dish! I use ground pork with some Italian seasoning rather than Italian sausage but you can use either however, Make sure when you buy your sausage to check for fillers and carb counts. Also when you pick up the crushed tomatoes make sure to check the label. Not all can goods are created equal and you have to find one with no added sugar if you are trying to follow a low carb diet.
This is a great meal for your family and friends and it pairs nicely with a side salad. Due to the size of your zucchini you may have left over sausage meat as a result. However the extra meat does freeze well and can be used to stuff mushrooms and even jalapeno poppers! I almost always have just a bit left over and I just stuff the extra goodness into a jalapeno and top off with some cheese and bacon and bake, which makes another great bonus snack!
If You Make These, Let Us Know!
- 6 Medium Zucchini
- 1 lb Ground Pork or Italian Sausage read label for fillers
- 2 Shallots chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Tbsp Basil Infused Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 14 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes I usually get the Italian seasoned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup spinach leaves to garnish optional
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Garlic Salt to Taste
Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Cut zucchini in half and scoop out the center. Lightly salt the inside of zucchini and tip upside down and let sit for 20 minutes to drain. After 20 minutes blot with a paper towel to take out any excess moisture.
- Using a basting brush, coat the inside of your zucchini halves with the basil infused olive oil and
- Sprinkle about 1/4th of your Parmesan over the olive oil. Coating the zucchini and then bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is golden and crisp. Remove from heat and let cool.
- While your zucchini is baking place your sausage, 1 clove chopped garlic and 2 chopped shallots in your frying pan and brown your sausage.
- Once thoroughly browned add in 1 can of crushed tomatoes and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Mix well.
- Scoop your sausage mixture into your zucchini halves.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp of almond flour with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Top of your zucchini with the cheese mixture and place back in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top cheese is golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat and ready to serve.