Taco’s and Macaroni & Cheese are at the top of my list for childhood favorites, that I haven’t quite grown out of yet. Even better is the combination of both in one dish! Bursting with so much wonderful ooey gooey cheesy flavor, it is sure to be a big hit with the kids, even the adult children!
My mom made the original version of this recipe one night for dinner not to long ago and I thought this is really yummy. However, Where is the crunch??? I thought it would be so perfect with just a few little tweaks, and viola! All the cheesiness of mac & cheese mixed with that satisfying crunch of taco’s was born! The crushed taco shells on top really pulls it all together. It reminds of back in the day when hamburger helper was the in thing and when your boxed pasta enchilada was done you got to pour this tiny bag of corn chips of top for crunchiness.
From start to finish, this recipe is so quick and easy it can be ready to serve in 35 minutes!
- 2 lb hamburger
- 2 boxes Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 10 oz can Rotel
- 1 pkg taco season
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 6 taco shells - crushed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions chopped
- Cook Macaroni & Cheese according to the package instructions. Add ¾ cup sour cream.
- Brown hamburger and drain off excess grease. Add taco seasoning per package directions.
- Spread half of the taco meat in the bottom of your baking dish and then layer half of the macaroni and cheese on top of the taco meat.
- Spread can of Rotel over the macaroni and cheese and layer half of the shredded cheese on top.
- Add the remainder of the taco meat on top of the cheese and then the remainder of the macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle the remainder of the shredded cheese on top and place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- take out of the oven and sprinkle crushed taco shells on top of cheese and place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cilantro and green onions on top and ready to serve!
- Optional - sprinkle top with fresh chopped tomato and serve with side salad